Building and Inspections

 Building Permits

The Building and Inspections Division reviews plans, issues permits, and inspects all new residential and commercial construction and remodeling work within the City of River Falls. This includes plumbing, heating and air conditioning, and electrical work. One building permit is issued for the entire project. Permits are valid for two years.

Please call Angie at 715-426-3427 discuss any permit needs or schedule an appointment. Thank you.

Building Permit Fact Sheet - How do I apply & when do I need one?

Building Permit Applications
Residential Building Permit Application 
Commercial Building Permit Application
Fee Schedule (see page 9 for permit fees)

Deck Permit
Decks and Stairways
Deck Construction Code (WI State Building Code Appendix B)
Appendix B Checklist
Please submit residential permit application, site plan showing lot lines and where deck is going off the house, and Appendix B checklist for approval. 

Fence Permit 
Fence Landscaping
Fence Permit Application
Please submit to Angie Bond at fence permit application and site plan showing house, lot lines and where fence will be located for approval. 

New Home Construction
New Home Application Checklist
Online New Home Building Permit Application State of WI (New Home Construction ONLY) 
Erosion Control Checklist
New Construction Application for Utilities
Site Plan for Electric Service
Water Sewer Lateral Inspection Request Form

     Project Guides
Building Code for Homeowner Projects
Sheds, Detached Garages & Accessory Structures
Residential Driveways 

   Outside City limits?
   Check with your local township building inspector to obtain a permit. 
   Pierce County: Town of Clifton 715-377-2152
                            Town of River Falls 715-377-2152
St. Croix County: Town of Kinnickinnic 715-377-2152
                                Town of Troy 715-386-5410

Code Enforcement

This Division enforces city ordinances including building and construction, signs, long grass and weeds, garbage, occupancy and housing maintenance issues.
Code Enforcement Contact List


The Building and Inspections Division reviews and processes sign permits. A sign permit is required for new permanent and temporary signage in the City of River Falls. Permanent signs include wall, blade, monument and pylon signs; temporary signs include banner and portable signage. Please see Municipal Code Section 17.84 for sign regulations. Sign applications will be reviewed and notification provided with in one week of submission.

Signs in the Downtown Overlay District may be required to obtain Design Review Committee (DRC) approval.

Sign Information
Sign Permit Application (temporary sign)
Sign Permit Application (permanent signage)
DRC Regulations and Map
Garage Sale Sign Information
Sandwich Board Information

Rental Housing

The City of River Falls requires all rental properties to be registered. Registration for rental properties is required when a residence produces rental income; payment or other considerations such as house siting, lawn care, and general maintenance. 

Rental Housing Registration Fee: $10
Complaint Inspection Fee: $100

Rental Housing Fact Sheet
Rental Housing Registration Form
R-1 Zoning District Info (maximum occupants allowed per rental unit)