- About RFMU
- Electric Department
- Converting to Underground Service
Converting to Underground Service
The Basic Process
- River Falls Municipal Utility customers make arrangements with a certified electrician to complete all necessary inside wiring, file for necessary permits, and arrange to have all private and public underground utilities located by calling the Diggers Hotline at 811 or 800-242-8511.
- Call River Falls Municipal Utilities at 715-425-0906 to have a utility representative stop by and look at the proposed route for your underground service. From this visit, it can be determined if any associated costs are required to convert your service from overhead to underground.
- All customer utility charges must be paid in full before scheduling any work with River Falls Municipal Utilities.
- After all utility costs have been satisfied, the customer’s electrician should contact River Falls Municipal Utilities to schedule an appointment coordinating the conversion.
Cost to Convert Service
- A representative from River Falls Municipal Utilities will look at each service on a case-by-case basis to determine costs. When meeting with the customer, the utility representative will assist in locating the best possible route for the proposed underground service.
- The customer charge does not include costs such as yard restoration, work done by your electrician, city permits, or changes to your telephone or cable utilities.
- Coordinate an inspection by the city inspector
- Provide a 10-foot-wide access route
- Grade your lot to within 4 inches of the final grade
- Stake or expose any underground obstacles
- Install a 2-inch conduit (if necessary)
- Restore the disturbed ground to its original condition
For additional information, please call River Falls Municipal Utilities at 715-425-0906 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.